Tuesday, September 20, 2011

when dreams turn into nightmares

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP. here we go!!!

Hey What's yr Problem,
I'm a man from your past, who you may or may not remember- who needs advice with the quicknesssss.
Ok so, like everyone's always telling you to "follow your dreams," and shit like that, but when you do you totally end up broke and feeling dumb, because let's face it- becoming a Flamenco Guitar playing phenom with like 30 Basque chicks dripping all over me and unleashing an endless barrage of Spanish wine and African hash is just not in the cards at this point in my life- I'm not saying that's my dream, cause it's obvs not, but like- All I'm getting at is, dreams are hungry vampiric beasts that pray on you in the night, while you're sleeping, and people need to know..
 Right? I mean what do you say?
 
Sincerely,
Anonymous Man From the Past Who Followed his Dreams To The End of the Earth, and Is All Like, NOW WHAT

wow that sucks, anonymous man from my past. (SIDE NOTE: WTF INTRIGUING?!?!) my instinct is to be like, get better dreams? or at least more realistic and achievable ones? but shoot me in the face, isn't that THE WORST ADVICE EVER?? i would lose my registered advice columnist status (still not a real thing)

the way i can help i think is to just offer out the idea of redefining what following/living your dreams are. for me, it's an inside job (9/11 joke). it's about how i'm feeling, how i'm reacting (or better yet, responding) to the world around me, it's about how comfortable i am when i just sit by myself, how clean my soul is in a way. did i ask people how they were today and really listen to their response? did i show up when i said i would and was i useful when i was there? did i admit when i was wrong? was i able to let go of trying to control and manipulate the world to fit my needs? am i grateful for all the gifts i currently have in my life?

once i'm in check with these things, all external things usually fall into place. or external things totally don't fall into place, but i'm still okay and trust that if i keep doing the right actions, at some point the external will follow. or the external will never fall into place, but i'm STILL OKAY. it's just about loving where you're at regardless of where it is because you love yourself and you're content.

my goals in life are basically to be content and useful. that means that wherever i end up, as high up the ladder or as low, as big or as small as my life may be in the scheme of things, i am content with myself and i am a useful and active participant with a purpose. this purpose, and what i mean by useful, is as literal as like, making coffee for friends, helping someone with their groceries, making calls for my grandpa to possibly go into a retirement home (so sad and true), whatever. just showing up and being there to help. just doing what needs to be done. it takes your ego out of the game while at the same time raising your self-esteem. it's one of those tricky tricks that trick the trick trick.

always say thank you for what you have. if you live in the positive, you will simply see more of it. when you're in the thick of 'what the fuck does it mean?? why does my life suck? whats the point??" i suggest making a list of at least 5 things that you are grateful for. refocus, man. you're doing okay! you've had awesome life experience. say thank you for that! appreciate it! 

in fact, be thankful for the funk, too! through pain comes growth, right? without dark, there is no light, without fear, there is no courage. trust that you will pick something up in this time that will help you later on. or that you will pick something up in this time that will help someone else later on - that's the trick! (another tricky trick trick) sharing your experiences and being able to help others with those experiences is an amazing and simple way to give value and purpose to even the darkest times of our lives.

also, i have a friend who made her goal to just have as much singing and dancing in her life as reasonably possible. so she just sings and dances as much as possible. just going to karaoke or dancing in her room counts, and she feels productive and awesome each time. so set some goal like that. something to get you out of your funk a little and back on the happiness track. (basically, set a more achievable dream. UGH I'M THE WORST)

living realistic dreams for life,
danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment